Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Icky

I keep having to tell myself that I did not come to school so that I could land a good job, so it doesn't matter if my transcript looks this:

Class

Credits

Chemistry for Everyone

2

Foundations of The Performing Arts

32

Academic Writing

4

Academic Writing: The Next Steps

4

The Power of Story

4

Juvenile Justice

4

Music and Dance

16

Multi-Track Audio Production

16

Adaptation: Evolutionary Science

8

Music, Math and Motion

32

Marx and Marxism’s

16

The Practice of Writing

4

New Media Studies: Hardware Hacking, Computer Programming, and Robotics

4

Digital Audio Production

8

I don't care that nobody will be hiring a composer with a side interest in physics, evolution, mythology, political economy and chemistry, and an emphasis on academic writing...who has dabbled a little in computer programing and robotics. I remember all of my classes and what I learned in them and how they changed my thinking. I will just keep alive as best I can.


...


*ten years in the future: Ben is working in a kitchen washing dishes as an extremely "interesting" 31 yr old*
Ben:"Hey guys! You know what we should do? We should arrange all these pots so that they can be played with these ladles! Then we can take this dishwasher apart and use the water pressure to power this robot to play them! Then I will write an academic paper about it! Then we will talk with our employer about involving us intellectually with our work and paying us for what we produce rather than wages! Come on it'll be SWEEEeeeeeeeee ee ee ....e t" *fade back to present*

... I am a 31 year old crazy guy who all the young kids have to tolerate at work.

3 comments:

Star said...

i wish everyone who read the title would hear ben saying "ickeh!"

BriKi said...

well, at least you're not a poet.

Ben Jammin said...

I just sing my poems. I don't think that makes me anymore valued by society.