Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Song 2

I have not recorded all the stuff I've been working on for my "one song a week project" but I did have a chance to at least get a rough copy of this song done.
The guitar part for this song is in 7/8 the vocal part is in 4/4. When you play something in 7 against something in 4 they don't repeat their original relationship for a several repetitions.
(e.g: 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 etc...)
The melody in 4 riding on top of a slowly shifting and for me slightly unsettling guitar in 7. I wrote the song as a lullaby because I thought it would be neat to capture the situation where you sing to your child something that is simple and soothing, as a way to combat what ever disruptive thing is happening - or in the song, you sing something in 4 against something unfamiliar in 7.



No comments: